Sunday, October 16, 2011

StrengthsFinder 2.0

At first, I was happy to take the StrengthsFinder 2.0 inventory. Most Nyack College undergrads take this bestselling strengths inventory their freshman year. I am in honors, so I didn't have to take it. Until student teaching...

So according to this inventory, my strengths are: 
 
Input
Connectedness
Intellection
Ideation
Adaptability
 
I find that  these are good representations of some of my strengths. Nothing really surprised me. However, my results guide warned me that my results may not be as accurate as they could have been because I picked in the middle ("neutral")  for almost everything. (This is where I start talking about how much I disliked taking the test.) I only had 20 seconds to answer each question. That made me anxious and didn't help at all for the questions I could not decide on.

Some of the questions absolutely baffled me, because to me the two options, of which I was supposed to pick one, were one and the same. Often both were immediately instinctive to me. Ex. I often: 1. Encourage others. 2. Strengthen others. For me there is no difference. So I had hoped that by picking the neutral option (between the extremes), that I was telling the computer who I really am. It didn't get it. So while I feel my results were accurate, I wonder what they would have been if my true answers were taken into consideration. I would much rather sit down with a counselor or verbal test administrator and do this inventory a different way.

1 comment:

  1. Now please apply your strengths in the classroom setting. How will you use them there?

    ReplyDelete